Sunday, September 25, 2011

the redeeming qualities

My favorite part of writing is before I ever begin. I love bouncing ideas back and forth in my head. It's usually late at night when this happens, mind you, and I always regret it the next morning. But it's so exciting. There are so many possibilities, so many avenues to explore. The best part is hearing the characters speak to each other. If the conversation is dull and lifeless, I'll add a new character trait to give the people in my head some sparks. More than likely, it's a flaw that I'll add.

Right now, I am completely enamored by the character Damon from The Vampire Diaries. His character is inspiring me to create someone like him for a novel. And yes, I realize I'm the last one to be catching onto this fantastic series (I'm only reaching the beginning of season two), but it took me convincing to watch. I wasn't exactly sold at first, not sure why. Maybe I figured that copycats of Twilight would never win me over- which is why I still refuse to read any new Vamp stuff in literature. Now, of course, I'm obsessed with the show, which is making me re-think reading those other Vamp novels.

Anyway, back to the point. I realized something today as I was inspired by Damon. I realized that the quintessential “bad” or “evil” characters are always my favorite. This happens with a lot of t.v. shows. I made a list (because I'm slightly neurotic) nonetheless, here it is:
  • Damon, The Vampire Diaries
  • Amber, from Teen Mom- She’s a nut case, but she’s the most entertaining.
  • Ronnie and Sam, Jersey Shore- Why, God, Why do I root for them to be together?
  • Sue Sylvester, Glee
  • Sawyer, Lost
  • And here’s the worst of the worst…Theodore “T-bag” Bagwell, Prison Break. I know it’s awful, but he cracked me up.
I think that these so called “bad” characters or villains are interesting to me because of what redeems them. Sometimes, it’s simply humor. Sometimes, it’s the one decent quality they possess. I just like them better. And I've noticed they show their ugly faces a lot in my writing. But by the time I get done with them, they’ve learned some sort of lesson. Or maybe they’ve done a complete 180.

Is something wrong with me? Do I have some kind of subconscious baggage which keeps bringing me to these characters? Why can’t I just learn to love the good guy- the Indiana Jones, the Luke Skywalker or the Jack Shephard of our time? What was ever wrong with those people?

Quote of the day:

"I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. And then, on some dark cold night, I will steal away into your home and punch you in the face." - Sue Sylvester, Glee

1 comment:

  1. I don't love all bad guys/characters- but I did always root for Sawyer on Lost and I am cheering for all the bad guys on Boardwalk Empire. Sometimes I wonder what is wrong with me- but I think the characters are evil- but flawed in a way that makes me like them. What an interesting post! It really made me think!(I do not want Sam and Ronnie to be together- but that is just because too much time is devoted to their fights!)

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete