Monday, October 17, 2011

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Apparently, I am one of the last people to read The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. Most active YA readers are reading/ have read up to The Iron Knight. Anyway, I liked it. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it was still pretty good.

Things I liked: The Creativity! Ms. Kagawa must have one active imagination. The Fey world she created was insane, but at the same time it was perfect. It was exactly how you'd imagine a Fey world should be. It was almost like Alice's "Wonderland" on crack. Also, Meghan wasn't an awful MC. She was likeable. Lately, I've encountered some really annoying female protagonists, but Meghan wasn't of that mold. Grim was my favorite character though. Grim was made of awesomeness. He reminded me of a toss up between the Chesire cat and Garfield. Finally, Ash was a pretty great object of affection. He was oh so mysteriouso.

Things I didn't like so much: The pacing felt too quick, speedy-ish. Not in the best sort of way either. Maybe it was called for in a book about faeries, I don't know, I just felt like there could have been more time for character development. (Insignificant spoiler alert ahead) Also, in one scene Meghan goes from kitchen duty for days on end to partying it up at the faery ball? I was scratching my head at that. If that happened in real life, the girl would have been knocked out asleep until the next day. Just sayin'.

Overall, it was a cute story. I will probably pick up the next in the series. I've heard they get even better from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment